The Bacterial Meningitis module focuses on the clinical presentation of meningitis and emphasizes the three bacterial agents for which a vaccine is available. It will also review the current recommendations for the available meningitis vaccines.
Length: 20-30 minutes
- Identify patients who have risk factors for bacterial meningitis
- Evaluate the common clinical manifestations of bacterial meningitis through a history and physical exam of a patient
- Apply CDC vaccination recommendations to clinical practice, especially as they relate to:
- Indication (i.e., to whom the vaccines should be given) and
- Vaccination timing (i.e., when the vaccines should be given)
Explain the rationale for administering meningitis vaccines to patients and their families